Monday, August 27, 2007

Wild Halibut Steaks with Warm Bacon Dressing – Mmmmm….Bacon

Yes, it’s true what they say, bacon makes everything tastes better. Even bacon tastes better with bacon. Recently I saw an online lecture by a woman who makes specialty chocolates and she had actually done chocolate with bacon. So, now it’s really official, bacon goes with everything! By the way, I plan on posting her lecture, which I found equally inspiring and perplexing, but that’s for another day.

Today we’re making a very simple warm bacon dressing to go over some pan cooked halibut. With just a few ingredients, and a very simple procedure, we’re going to produce some amazingly delicious results. The smokiness of the bacon is such a great match with the meaty halibut, and the slightly sweet/sour profile of the fresh lemon and rice vinegar brings this all together. Usually at this point I tell you a few ways you can alter the recipe to match your personal tastes…forget that. Make this exactly like I show you. Enjoy!



Ingredients:
2 halibut steaks (about 3/4 to 1 inch thick)
1/2 lemon
1/3 cup seasoned rice vinegar
4 strips of bacon
fresh parsley to taste (about 1/2 bunch for me)
salt and pepper to taste
* I served this on baby romaine, but any greens would be nice

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmmmmm.....bacon lol

Looks great!

Anonymous said...

Looks like a winner. Would it work with filets? I dont think they have steak at my store. They have frozen fillets.

Chef John said...

Yes, those will work,butbe carefully they will cook faster than steak which are thicker.

Anonymous said...

mmm...bacon, I haven't had that in a long time. And wow! I can actually hear that bacon sear in the pan! But I have to be careful because if I cook it too fast, it cooks but is chewy. Sometimes I like the chewy, but crunchy is way way better. why? It gives off a smokey flavor. So, people always be careful when cooking bacon. This is only so you can take it to your liking. :)

Anonymous said...

yay! A new dish! (finally) j/k j/k

hkfreak said...

Warm...

Anonymous said...

I made this last night. GO FOR IT. Followed directions pretty much as written, my fillets broke into a couple of pieces, but didn't matter. Cooked the bacon til very crispy and it stayed crisp even while cooking in the sauce. YUM. A huge hit.

Unknown said...

Great fast and easy dish. Made it last night and it was a hit. For some reason i had too much liquid but it didn't matter. Great refreshing flavor perfect for a summer night.

BadLuck said...

Did you take the video down, John? I found this recipe randomly and decided to buy the ingredients today (mainly, the fish) but now I don't know how to cook it (yes, I'm new at this. VERY new at this).

le sigh.

Araxjan said...

The video's not loading...

Anonymous said...

Sad there's no video.....:-(

Kara said...

The video is here on YouTube!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz5eXOlN0l0