Saturday, August 11, 2007

Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Balsamic Glazed Peaches – A Perfect Pairing in 2 Parts

Ahh, the perfectly ripe peach. My momentary guilt for not just eating it raw was quickly forgotten as soon as I tasted this amazing sweet and savory summer combo. By the way, this was filmed last summer before I even thought about wearing a Chef coat while shooting (thanks mom). So, that’s me in the lime green Polo shirt cooking this truly delicious recipe. This was one of the first recipes I ever filmed for the web (insert standard lower video quality disclaimer here), and it’s still one of my favorites. This was actually posted here back in May, when I converted a bunch of older clips over to this blog, but since peaches weren't in season yet, I doubt too many people payed much attention.

Everything on this plate works so well together, and it’s also a very easy recipe with just a few ingredients. While I used a fresh, ripe peach, jarred or canned halves will work in a pinch. This juicy fruit is first caramelized with aged balsamic vinegar and then used in a salad sitting next to sliced, roasted pork tenderloin. As you’ll hear in the recipe I refer to another meat trimming demo (how to trim a butcher steak), as I remove the “silver-skin” from the tenderloins. Don’t bother looking around the site for that, as it no longer exists, although I plan re-shooting that one soon. I also prepare a very simple pan sauce to finish this amazing dish. This recipe demo is broken into 2 parts because of its length. In Part 1, we make our glazed balsamic peaches, and prep our pork tenderloin. We also “bruise” some rosemary …hey, that fragrant rosemary had it coming! In Part 2, we finish the pork, make our pan sauce, and “plate up” with our glazed peaches and salad. If you’ve only used peaches for summertime desserts, give this a try. You will think about our fuzzy friends in a whole new way. Enjoy!

Part 1:


Part 2:


Ingredients:
whole pork tenderloin (not loin)
3-4 rosemary sprigs
Black pepper and salt to taste
2 fresh peaches
2 tbl butter
2 tbl aged balsamic vinegar
1 clove garlic
olive oil
mixed greens
slice of toast to garnish

Note: If you are using fresh peaches make sure you get the "freestone" variety, not the "clingstone.” For more info on the difference, click this link to wikipedia.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

love ur polo tee. looks sexy.

Chef John said...

why thank you. I think.

Julie said...

Looks delicious Chef John, I'm a big fan of pork tenderloin.

Chef John said...

thanks, yes pork tenderloin is a great, low fat, easy to cook, and VERY tender protein.

Anonymous said...

Great! I just did it.
Its something different and it worked out very well.
I forgot the vinegar in the peaches first, though.

100% !

Unknown said...

Great Timing Chef John! We just bought a box of peaches on sale from the farmers market.

Chef John said...

You're in for a treat!

Andreea said...

so glad to have discovered your website. will have to make sure i'll add you to my links and feeds :)
great inspiration and love the videos.

Anonymous said...

Just made this with an apple in place of the peach... Is of that traditional apple/pork combo so it was good. Though we will have to try this again when peaches are in season! Thanks Chef John - another successful recipe!

Sammy said...

I just found your site, and I love it! I made this recipe the other night (and blogged about it too!...hope that is okay!), and it turned out so well. Thanks so much!

I look forward t making those insanely awesome-looking cornbread muffins stuffed with bbq pork...i just about died when I saw that! :]

FoodieJazmin said...

Hi! Chef, I’ve been watching your videos for awhile and then finally started cooking with them this year. I love your format! Thanks for helping me understand the art of cooking. :) Best Regards, Jazmin