Tuesday, January 9, 2018

The Denver Omelet – Denver, Colorado, Not Denver, France

This Denver omelet was one of the first things I learned how to make professionally, during my brief, but exciting career as a short order cook in high school. So, it was a little disconcerting to learn when I arrived at culinary school that everything I had done was totally wrong.

According to the chefs teaching me how to make a classic French omelet, my Denver omelet was overcooked, over-browned, and included too many ingredients.  It was made very clear that if I made that for my exam, I would fail, which was confusing since I thought they were really good, and the people at the diner where I’d worked seemed to agree.

Over the years, I’ve come to appreciate both styles of omelet, and understand they really are two entirely different things. I’m not sure exactly why, but I seem to prefer the softer French version for breakfast, and this heartier American-style for lunch, or dinner. Maybe it’s the browning, or denser texture, but it really does make for a great “can’t figure out what to have for dinner” idea.

As with all omelets, feel free to toss in anything you want, but just be sure to cook it long enough before adding the eggs.  To me there’s nothing worse than an omelet with crunchy, undercooked vegetables in it, and that’s really the only way to screw this up. But, no matter what you use, or when you enjoy this, I really do hope you give this a try soon. Enjoy!


Ingredients for one Denver omelet:
1 tablespoon butter
3 large eggs
1/3 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/4 cup diced smoked ham
2 tablespoon finely diced onion
2 tablespoon finely green bell pepper
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
pinch of cayenne

10 comments:

Dani said...

Sounds awesome!
Have you considered making more egg-for-dinner recipes (like your French omelette)? I suggest menemen. YUM!

Michele Cryan said...

Up here in Canada, we call it a Western Omelette! But either way nice comfort food for this time of year! (Especially up here, LOL)

Unknown said...

Hey Chef John,happy new year. I love your vids, I have saved close to 400 of them and tried many of your recipes. While I was on youtube tonight I came across a soup recipe from another cook/chef named Shotgun Red. Check it out and please give us YOUR interpretation of it. I am going to try Shotgun Red's this weekend, I will let you know how it goes. If it works with store bought pickles, I will try it with your homemade dill pickles from August 18, 2015. Here is Shotgun Reds Vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzYQoyrp8FM&t=331s

Points2Ponder said...

So many great meals you show us and so little time.

Rhonna said...

A classically great omelette for any time of day. Thank you.

jak martin said...

I so enjoy your recipes and commentary.

jak martin said...

I live in Belize and Belize beef has almost no fat or marbling. I bought a beef shoulder roast and soiux vide for 48 hours at 134 degrees. It came out very tender.
Thanks ,
John

Diana said...

I made this three times now. Its delicious. Thank you!

Blitz55 said...

Made this a few times since watching the video. Came out fantastic, best omelet I've made. I'm so sorry though, at the time, all I had to work with was pre-grated cheese. :( But it was delicious and the green peppers do exactly as you say.

Unknown said...

Tried this today and it came out perfectly! Thanks Chef :D