Friday, February 9, 2007

Steak au Poivre “Pepper Steak”

This clip was already been posted on the site when we first started, but since there is a good chance many of our newer viewers have not seen it, I decided to re-run it today. It’s probably the dish I’ve gotten the most emails about and also lots of comments on YouTube. It’s very simple, and makes for a fantastic “special occasion” dinner.

We’ve streamlined this steakhouse classic to work for the home chef. If you can find veal stock, or even demi-glace, you can use that instead of the beef stock I used in the clip. Either way, it will produce a delicious, rich pan sauce perfect for a couple tender, medium-rare filet mignons. Also, many Chefs use a combination of black and green peppercorns. So if you can get them, go ahead and add a teaspoon of crushed green peppercorns to the sauce when you add the stock and it will be even more authentic.

Speaking of old clips, if you not happy with your mashed potatoes, check out that clip on the site and watch how to make great mashers every time.


Ingredients:
2 Filet Mignon (Beef Tenderloin, about 8 oz. each)
3/4 cup Veal Stock or Beef Stock/Broth
1/3 Cognac or Brandy
1/3 Heavy Cream
Cracked Black Pepper
Salt
Unsalted Butter

4 comments:

Bruce said...

I have had guests come close to licking the plate each time I make this! I modify just a bit by less black pepper on the steaks themselves but then add 1 Tbs of Green Peppercorns in Brine (the best come from Madagascar) as the sauce reduces. They add a nice texture and are delicious. I also like to saute a medium shallot for one minute prior to adding the Cognac. Well done Chef John!

Anonymous said...

YEEEEAH! FINALLY I KNOW HOW TO MAKE THIS!
THANKS SO MUCH!!!

Enzo said...

My first time cooking steak and it turned out awesome! My wife loved it and so did our kids. Thank you chef John!

Unknown said...

I've made this many times, and every time it is perfect! Thanks, Chef John. This is what heaven tastes like.